Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Pharisee in Me

The boys turned 2 years old on Monday (Jan. 19)! Wow! It seems like just the other day they were tiny little bundles happily swinging in their baby swings and sleeping all the time (well . . . one of the boys--the other one still barely sleeps at all).

I was reminded today of a habit the boys have. It makes me chuckle every time it happens, but I dare not laugh because they are so serious. Whenever one of the boys is corrected by an adult (or big sister) the other one will then furrow his brow and in a very deep voice begin to chastise his brother. For instance, if I tell one of the boys, "don't throw your cup on the floor" the other one will turn to his brother, shake his finger and tell his brother, "NO! (followed by several unintelligible words)" very loudly.

The offense can be anything from throwing a sippy cup off the tray onto the floor, hitting sister, talking 'sassy' to someone, standing up on a chair . . . I think you get the picture. It doesn't matter what the offense is, the other brother seizes upon the opportunity to assert his (presumed) authority. The thing that makes me chuckle? Besides the fact that it's a riot to see the physical transformation when the boys assume the authoritative role, is the fact that each of the boys is equally as guilty of whatever offense is being highlighted!

Well . . . I'm guilty of that myself. Only it's not that cute when I do it. Yes, I accuse others of being selfish, short-sighted, insincere, etc. Remember when we were kids and someone called us a name? We would respond, "takes one to know one." Well, it's true when you're an adult too.

All too often I am guilty of the same fault/character flaw/shortcoming/sin I point out in others. Like the Pharisees in the New Testament, I build myself up by putting others down. When we see ourselves reflected in others in a less than attractive light, why are we so quick to cast aspersions on them, and let ourselves off the hook? Hmm . . . this is one for God and me to work on together.

The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men [are], extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican. I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess. [Luke 18:11-12]

Teach me, and I will be silent; make me understand how I have erred.
[Job 6:24]

For though the Lord is high, he regards the lowly; but the haughty he knows from afar. [Psalm 138:6]

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh. Guilty! I too point the finger at others, when I should loop it around right back to myself. Oh dear. Thanks for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete