Saturday, August 15, 2009

Shopping is Love

Shopping Pictures, Images and PhotosThis is not the title I had planned for this post, but when I found this picture online, I realized that yes, sometimes shopping is love. If you have a daughter you can especially understand how this can be so. But wait, I'm not talking about spending money (well that is involved, but that's not my point!)

I have recently made some important lifestyle changes, not the least of which includes eating healthfully, exercising and losing weight. My daughter, now in her 20's, has been an inspiration to me in this arena (and many others). She is beautiful and smart and yes, has matured into a woman I am glad to call my friend. I have recently lost 30 lbs. and so have had to buy some new clothes -- I really am talking NEED, not just want. She and I went out shopping this afternoon and I thought over and over "I am so blessed to have my daughter."

I am blessed, first to be her mom. Since the day she was born, we have had a connection that goes beyond mother and daughter. We are kindred spirits in so many ways -- like me, she was born an "old soul" and so we have pretty much "gotten each other" from the day she was born. She was not a perfect child, but I have no real complaints. I wasn't a perfect mom either, and she hasn't expressed too many issues about which I marred her for life:-)

Now, rewind about 10 years and I might have had a few complaints. I have memories that until today, were more vivid than I had thought I would want them to be. Picture this: A 13 year old girl and her best friend + back-to-school shopping + fitting room with not enough stalls + hundreds of other moms and teenage girls packed into a department store Jr.'s department.

I have memories of standing outside the dressing room, serving as a human clothes rack while pants, shirts, skirts, t-shirts and jeans were tried on, rejected, returned to me to go back to the rack and begin the process all over again in search of smaller, larger or different color clothing items. I'm talking hours. I don't think I complained about it a lot. I was a pretty patient mom, who may not have savored moments like those, but accepted that it went with the territory.

As I reflected back on those times this afternoon, a flood of other memories rushed back as well. I'm at a point in my life where I just don't know how much more blessed I can possibly feel. Yet, each day God reveals another blessing. Today, my daughter and I changed roles. She was the human clothes rack, making countless trips back and forth in search of a different size, style, color for her mom! She also provided me a tutorial on "never wear this" and "don't even think about buying something like that", as we breezed past racks of clothes until we found some style and fit that was at least acceptable:-) for me to try on. She was equally as patient as I recall being. She was even magnanimous - something I may not have achieved back then.

Full circle is what I was going for when I sat down to type this post - maybe even along the lines of the Circle of Life from the Lion King. My daughter can shop! She can dress, too! My daughter's pretty amazing and today I felt especially blessed to be her friend.

Not to mention that I have the beginnings of a brand new wardrobe - all of which was purchased from sales racks -- and using a store-ad coupon! That's my girl!!

"Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth" (1 John 3:18 NIV).

"I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth" (3 John 1:4 NIV).

"[Children and Parents ] Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right" (Ephesians 6:1 NIV)

7 comments:

  1. I abstely LOVED this post, Mary. As the mother of 2 daughters, I pray we have a relationship that is as yours sounds.

    CONGRATS on losing all that weight! That is really amazing. What type of plan are you doing? CONGRATS again!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! The connection between mothers & daughters is such a gift from God - it is truly amazing! Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to take my oldest son shopping for dress clothes to wear to a wedding this week. I lamented to a friend that I often wonder if shopping with a daughter is more fun or easier! Although, as I've gotten older, I haven't wanted to spend a lot of my time shopping, so shopping with sons is nice because they're in and out quickly! (Unless we go to a skateboard shop!)

    Congratulations on the weight loss!

    Hugs and Blessings, Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  4. How precious. I look forward to these moments with our granddaughter, Savannah. I am praising GOD with you for the time you were able to spend together.
    Love and prayers, andrea

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just had to stop by ... I love the title of your blog. You can color on my life anytime sweet one.

    As a young mom, I look forward to the day when I can be with my adult children too.


    Blessings from Costa Rica,
    Sarah Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary,

    How truly blessed you must feel to have such a wonderful and open relationship with your daughter. There are so many out there not as fortunate as you are.

    Congratulations for your 30 pounds lost, you are right! You would need and not want some new clothes. I bet you looked amazing.

    Love and Hugs ~ Kat

    ReplyDelete