Tuesday, December 30, 2008

An Out of Sorts Kind of Day

Yesterday was the first day back with the "little ones" in a week! It was so great to see them and they all seemed to have grown so much in just those few days! Of course the boys are of the age that a week is a long time -- they learn and develop so quickly at that age! Kind of makes me think about how we perceive time vs. how God perceives time:-)

Everyone was glad to see me too, and enjoyed showing me all their Christmas gifts. I was really laid back from my long "vacation" and the kids were really calm considering all the hype of Christmas! One of the twins even started to cry when I left, I guess because he was afraid he wouldn't see me again for another week!?

Today . . . well, the honeymoon was over today. They were all glad to see me, but all day it was like, "Oh, Mary's back." All three of them were just out of sorts--with themselves, with each other and with me! Hmph! They were not terrible - not by a long shot, but it was like they each needed to re-establish the boundaries, reiterate the rules and see if "the old girl" had forgotten everything while she was off:-)

I would tell one of the boys not to go in the road -- several times I turned him around and got down on his level and told him not to go out of the driveway. Each time he would get right to the end of the driveway and start inching out, to see how far he could go before I turned him around again. Finally, I picked him up, placed him on the grass and put the bike away. He didn't pitch a fit--he just unzipped his jacket and threw it on the ground. I guess when you're two that's about the most defiant thing you can think of:-)

The other two each had their own moments throughout the day. At one point I remember separating the boys and reminding them, "no hitting, no biting, no pushing, no grabbing, and no mean talk." Big sister likes to argue and try to negotiate and rationalize everything I say.

So, the God connection? I test the limits all the time! I try to rationalize and negotiate with God. I push the envelope, tread on thin ice, hang by a thread . . . whatever you want to call it. I press my luck, as my mom used to say. I may do the right things but I don't always have the right heart. I may say the right things, but I don't always back up my words with actions.

Sometimes, honestly, I don't even do or say the right things - and it's intentional. Yes, I really have trouble getting flustered or taking things my little charges do personally. Because I know where they're coming from. I'm pretty firm, but pretty patient. Thankfully, God is too!

So when you, a mere man, pass judgment on them and yet do the same things, do you think you will escape God's judgment? Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, tolerance and patience, not realizing that God's kindness leads you toward repentance?[Romans 2:3-5 NIV]

2 comments:

  1. Whoops - that sounds like me too! Great great analogy, Mary. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful blog of insight. Beautiful parallels. This is a good teaching tool, for you living it, and then for us your readers. Thanks.

    BTW, you have the makings of a book here, you know...

    ReplyDelete