Thursday, February 19, 2009

On Being 2 and Other Challenges

Well, since sister never really had the typical "terrible twos" I had hoped the brothers would make the same smooth transition from babyhood to toddler. Not so! Of course though the twins are as different as night and day, they are individually and as a unit different than their sister!

I won't say the boys are terrible because they're not. They are however firmly entrenched in the "terrible twos!" In any given 10 minute period they are sweet and loving, playing side by side and enjoying each other's company. Then one of them hits the other and is reprimanded. Then the one who was hit, hits back and the original discussion expands to "we" and "you boys."

Then one of the boys decides to do something "naughty." They just can't help themselves! Besides when you're two years old almost everything you perceive as fun and interesting is off-limits! What's a two-year old to do? I spend a lot of time holding the boys as they cry out of frustration because life in their world is challenging, frustrating and quite frankly confusing.

I've been through periods like that in my life. The 18 or so years I spent without Christ in my life - the 18-35 years - were exactly like that - confusing, challenging and frustrating. I spent a lot of time wandering lost and alone. I didn't know at the time what was missing from my life. Actually I think I did know. I don't know why I didn't run to God along the way. I was raised "in the church." I guess I just didn't have the good sense then. I believed I could do life on my own.

Now that I have been back in church almost 18 years I realize what I had missed. My "terrible twos" lasted a really long time. I had a lot of healing to do to recover from the effect of not abiding in Christ. I know it's a common story -- as one of my instructors shared -- it's legendary. Still . . . I lost a lot of years to praise God and rejoice in the gift of His Son.

I thank God that He used those years for my good--for His plan. He would have much preferred I had walked with Him during those years, just as I really wish the boys wouldn't go through the "legendary terrible twos." Fortunately, I understand this is a stage for them -- a season in which they are learning about themselves and others and their world, which grows larger and more challenging each day.

When I begin to run low on patience, I think of how God was so faithful to me through all those years. On the days when I think I may have to lock myself in the bathroom for a self-imposed time out, I realize how many times I must have broken God's heart. And I can't help but praise God for loving me enough to wait for me to run to Him. God promises to restore us to a right relationship with Him. Not that He wipes out the memory of those years, but He uses the memories as reminders of how we were - so we don't go back there again.

So I will restore to you the years that the swarming locust has eaten, the crawling locust, the consuming locust, and the chewing locust, my great army which I sent among you. (Joel 2:25 New King James Version)

1 comment:

  1. I think my terrible two's lasted indefinately. I take several steps forward and then a few backwards...God bless both you and the little guys. andrea

    ReplyDelete