Saturday, February 7, 2009

Running Laps and Fighting God

What a week we had! All three little ones are healthy again after a very unpleasant month-long round of strep throat! How I didn't contract it can only be attributed to Divine protection!

The boys, now that they are two have a whole new set of boundaries to push and ideas to implement that just generally throw everyone else's world into utter chaos! They have decided they don't like nap time any more. Oh, after lunch when I say, "Let's go take a nap," they're right there ready to go. They even act very quiet and look so angelic as they snuggle their blankies and I shut the door to get sister settled for her nap. They need their afternoon nap and when they do sleep, the go for at least 2 hours.

Yesterday, however, they were having none of it! After I ate my lunch and cleaned up the kitchen, I settled down to read for a few minutes. By the 2nd paragraph I began hearing banging coming from the boys' room. After the day I found them signalling to the workmen in the cul-de-sac with their window blinds, I ran upstairs. They were both on their backs in their beds kicking the side of the bed.

Later, I went upstairs and one brother was digging in one of the drawers while the other brother was telling him, "No, no!" The third time (yes I made them stay up there -- it was Friday and I was exhausted:-) I went up because I heard heavy footsteps from their room and I thought they were running circles. Well . . . they were - in their cribs. Round and round the circuit of their cribs. OK. By this point I just shook my head, told them they had better go to sleep and left the room. (I know it's entertaining for them when I'm exasperated, so I'm glad I could offer them that!)

The final time I went upstairs because of yelling, both boys were in one bed (one of the twins loves to get in his brother's bed even though he has been bitten and pushed). Both of them had their shoes on the floor, socks off and one brother had figured out how to put the socks on his hands like a sock puppet. He was quite pleased with himself and held up his hands for me to admire his newly acquired skill.

The other brother had decided he didn't really want his socks off and so held them up to me saying, "socks, socks." Socks went on the feet of both boys. All boys were returned to their rightful place in the room. I not very sweetly informed them that they had better get to sleep or they were going to be in big trouble. (I'm pretty sure I heard them making fun of me in their secret twin language as I walked back downstairs for what was, gratefully, the last time.)

Ummm . . . I've wrestled with God that much. Or I should say He has wrestled with me! He has tried countless times to get my attention, to gently guide me, then more forcefully direct me, then finally just throw up His hands and wait for me to figure out that He wants what is best for me. He doesn't give up on me! He just gives up on my obeying according to His time and His plan. He waits for me to get with the program and then blessess me.

But grow in grace, and [in] the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him [be] glory both now and for ever. Amen. (2 Peter 3:18 )

4 comments:

  1. I think you and I are on the exact same walk sometimes! I'm glad God doesn't give up on us, even when we're hard headed! (or hearted?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this analogy---it so fits me too

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you sure you weren't writing about me? Sometimes I am just too dense to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe it is time for these guys to sleep in separate rooms....God separates us at times in order to accomplish HIS will....often b/c we dont surrender on our own. Yes, I am talking as much about me as the your precious little ones.
    love and prayers, andrea

    ReplyDelete