Tuesday, September 1, 2009

A Break From Tradition: Let's Go Krogering!

I've decided to start participating in the Tuesday meme: Let's Go Krogering! I really love Kroger and we do our grocery shopping almost exclusively at Kroger. Because my dear husband is now eligible for the {senior} discount on Tuesdays, we shop on Tuesdays - yes, it's our "old married couple" weeknight date night:-)

I keep my eyes open for good deals elsewhere, but between the great pharmacist at our neighborhood store, the 2 Prescriptions = 10 cents off per gallon gas; $100 spent = 10 cents off per gas; the great prices and in-store specials and the fact that they double coupons up to 50 cents . . . well . . .

Here's my first post. If you would like to read more Kroger frugal shopping stories and learn how to maximize your "Kroger experience," hop on over to Marianne Thomas', blog, The New Frugal Mom.

If you'd like to learn some of my great tips for Frugal Families, visit my Richmond Frugal Family column at examiner.com.


*********LET'S GO KROGERING STARTS HERE*********

Tonight our total was: $133.61
Less 5 cloth bags: $.25 bag buyback
We got 1 free gallon of milk for buying 3 participating Keebler/Kellog Items - $2.49 savings
Less: 5% senior discount $5.11
Less: Mfg Coupons $16.40
Less: Bonus Coupon Savings $.035
Less: Kroger Plus Savings: $33.87
PLUS: $10 rebate from Kellogs for purchasing 10 participating items in one transaction.

Here's the bottom line: $133.61 - 2.49(milk) - $.25 bag buy back - $5.11 senior discount - $50.62 (coupons/Kroger plus savings) - $10 rebate for a grand total of $72.99 spent after rebate

Saved: $60.62 or 45% - That's my best trip yet! I'm shooting for 50% or better every trip, so stay tuned!

3 comments:

  1. Mary,

    Now if only they had one of those near us. None as far as I know in Southern California. Oh how I wish though. I was following someone whose goal it was to see just how much free stuff she could stock up on at Kroegers, when I was reading it, it was quite a bit.

    Love and Hugs ~ Kat

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a pretty neat amount you saved! Especially at this hard economic times. I don't have patience for coupons but use some if able to get some from some stores. I wait sometimes for stuff to go on sale. Thank you for sharing helpful tips. Blessings to you sister.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - you rock! What a great savings (and a sweet date night!)

    ReplyDelete