Thursday, March 12, 2009

The Company We Keep

The boys are now at the age where they are like little sponges. They don't miss a word, a look or a deed! They watch each other, too, to see how brother is doing something, to learn but also to file away the information.

When sister enters into the picture, even more information is processed and stored for later reference! One brother turns his sippy cup upside down, probably the other one does too. Sister dumps her dry Cheerios out of her bowl and eats them off the table, out go two more bowls of Cheerios onto two trays.

The boys watch to see what the other one will eat, too. It's kind of funny because the "littler" twin who used to be so picky now eats everything--I mean everyting--placed in front of him. The other, larger, stockier twin has become quite picky - mainly due to issues with texture:-)

Big sister has taught them a lot about how to be nice, how to share, how to sit at the table correctly. She's also taught them how to "raid the pantry" for snacks when no one is looking and how to claim a particular spot on the couch (middle cushion) as hers and only hers -- always. The boys consequently are quite territorial when they have a spot staked out, either on the floor, on the couch or on my lap! They also try to open every door, drawer, cabinet, container throughout the house!

The only other real influences in their lives right now are their family, me, and a few companions at 2-day-a-week daycare. So far, most of what they've been exposed to has been closely controlled and tightly guarded. But they're growing up. They're beginning to watch other people and file away information about their actions and their words. Soon, the world will firmly have a claim on them. I pray already for a hedge of protection around them and their sister.

Who we associate with has a direct relationship to how we act, how we think and how we live. If we surround ourselves with people who gossip, cheat, envy others, are judgmental, who lie, who mistreat others, etc., we begin to act and think and live as they do. If I don't guard my identity as a Christian, before I know it, I begin to act and live less and less like a Christian!

Sometimes we need to let go of people and relationships. Sometimes we have to take a stand about our faith. We need someone to whom we are accountable. I need Jesus. Every day. Every hour. I'm not strong enough or wise enough to stay in His presence without help. I need friends and family who know me and love me and help me stay on the path.

I will maintain my righteousness and never let go of it; my conscience will not reproach me as long as I live. (Job 27:6 NIV)

So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. 22For in my inner being I delight in God's law; 23but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. (Romans 7:21-23 NIV)

1 comment:

  1. Amen..another awesome article. You are an awesome writer and encourager. Congradulations on your successful writing journey....

    ReplyDelete