Thursday, March 12, 2009

Blameless and Harmless

About three years ago I worked as a lead teacher in an area preschool. My class was for the "older threes." These were the 3-year olds who would be going to kindergarten several months after their 5th birthdays.

I was quite a puzzle to these children when I became their teacher. You see, it is apparent that I love children. I mean most 3-5 year olds are drawn to me--I think they sense my passion and genuine love for them! I'm also, though, very no-nonsense. In my world, adults are in charge. Period. Also, in my world, when an adult gives you an instruction or tells you to do something, if you're under the age of 21: you DO IT! Yes, I'm really old fashioned like that:-) Yet my class was a place of fun and learning, comfortable and inviting and full of hugs and positive vibes.

Eventually I ended up with many of the "problem" children. By the time I left that day care my class consisted of ages ranging from 2 1/2 to 4! The two assistant teachers and I potty trained a couple who continually wet their pants for other teachers (not for us!) I converted a couple of hard core drama kings and queens into reasonably pleasant children when they were in my room.

We three teachers really clicked and we were all definitely on the same page. I generally found that the "problem children" were not the problem. Rather, the problems were the parents! One day after I had left for day and the assistant teacher who worked in the afternoons stayed on the playground with several of the children from our class she overheard a conversation between two of "our" boys. Apparently one of these two and another boy had exchanged words. Feelings were hurt, harsh words exchanged. The boys separated and went their separate ways.

The boy who was conversing with the other classmate told his friend about the incident. The other boy told him, "that's why we only hang around with people like this." (He pulled up his shirt sleeve and pointed to his arm.) These two boys were white. The other boy was black. My co-teacher was mortified! I was livid when she told me!

My tirade involved disbelief and abject horror that a three year old child's mind could already be filled with such thoughts and ideas. The child never even had a chance to learn any other way than one of prejudice and hatred. It cut me to my core. The boy who made that remark is one to whom I had devoted a great deal of attention that year. He had been difficult and uncooperative at first. It took a while for him to warm up to me and to begin to participate appropriately in class activities. Now I understood all too well the source of his behavioral issues!

I really questioned what I was doing there. I wondered how I could possibly make a difference in the lives of these children against such formidable odds. Now I understand I was placed in their lives for a purpose - a divine purpose. I was to be their light; I was to be blameless and harmless in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation. Hmm. That's a lot to expect of one so flawed and broken, sin-filled and imperfect.


Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven. (Matthew 5:16 KJV)

That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world; 9Philippians 2:15 KJV)

But ye, brethren, be not weary in well doing. (2 Thessalonians 3:13 KJV)

1 comment:

  1. Great post!! You need to stop by sitka's blog. He has a surprise for you.
    Blessings and furry hugs...

    ReplyDelete