Sunday, April 12, 2009

God's Ready, Set, Go!

This is the first in a three-part series I've entitled God's Ready, Set, Go!

The twins love to play with their cars and trucks! Not too long ago we were all watching a program where the characters were racing and we heard the term "Ready, Set, Go!" several times (as a reinforcement to teach the concept, I'm sure.) The boys picked up on it pretty quickly and ever since, they call to me, "Ready, Mary!" when they are lined up to race (either by themselves or to race against each other).

The twins have 2 Little Tykes trucks that stand about 12 inches tall, have very sturdy (hard plastic) wheels and make a crashing sound when the front "bumper" hits against a wall or a babysitter/nanny:-) These particular trucks were obviously built for heavy use and for exactly the capacity of a two-year old boy as he leans/pushes it.

When the boys decide they want to push their truck back and forth on the "racetrack/front entryway" or the long hall that runs from the back of the house through the family room, they go through a routine:

1) Locate desired vehicle.
2) Push or carry vehicle to the start point.
3) Position body over vehicle and prepare to push off.
4) Call out, "Ready, Mary!"

If I don't respond with the announcement in a timely enough manner, they will repeat themselves until I tell them I am ready to tell them 'ready, set, go.'

God works in our lives in much the same way. He gives us a gift or ability, a skill or a deep desire to achieve a goal. He expects us to ready ourselves to accomplish His will by refining the gift, training and learning to enhance our skill or ability. He nurtures our deep desire to achieve His work by placing us in situations, presenting opportunities and introducing people into our lives.

So how does God's ready, set, go correlate to our preparing to accomplish God's work in the world?

1) (Locate the desired vehicle) Determine the desired work

2) (Get into position) - join a group, take a course or class, receive training or start a campaign to begin the journey toward the goal God has placed in your heart.

3) (Position body over vehicle and prepare to push off.) Pray and reflect upon the path you are on. Talk about your plans to others whose opinions and wisdom you trust and respect. Ask God to affirm and confirm your plan.

4) (Call out, "Ready, Mary!") Let God know you're prepared to receive the training, go through the life experiences, pray for His guidance and prepare yourself to do what He has put in your heart.

It can be an excruciating process for someone like me who tends to have some false starts along the way. I have the "ready" part down pretty well. It's the "Get Set" part that I still to work on! We must be fully prepared, but we must also wait on God's timing. If we decide we're ready to go before we have received all we need to do well, we cannot be truly ready to do God's will.

The twins will, indeed wait for me. They will not move an inch until I tell them to go. Oh that I would have that kind of self-discipline and endurance in the race of life!

I went in response to a revelation and set before them the gospel that I preach among the Gentiles. But I did this privately to those who seemed to be leaders, for fear that I was running or had run my race in vain. (Galatians 2:2 NIV)

Click to read Part 2 of God's Ready, Set, Go!

3 comments:

  1. Love the analogy. Sometimes I think I'm ready & set, until God says "GO!" then I think...um, I'm not really ready. Oh to have ears to hear and obey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How true! That's what I need is a "heart in tune" with the "Go" part. It's neat how you related that simple play and used it in relation to what God had marked for each of us. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it!

    Stop by arise 2 write. I have something for you. andrea

    ReplyDelete