Monday, April 6, 2009

Different is . . Well . . . Different

Big sister is 4 years old. She is exceptionally bright and some of the things she comes up with just make me shake my head and chuckle.

Some of the comments she makes on a regular basis:

"Looks like we're driving in The United States of America." - as we pass by a very large flag on a very high flag pole.

"There are the 'school people'." - as we pass by the students waiting at the bus stop for the school bus.

I especially like the way she tries to explain things to her brothers. Her tone of voice become very sing-songy and pleaseant and she is very serious - not even realizing that not only to do the boys not care in the least, they can't even understand what she's talking about!

All the children who live in the neighborhood are "my friends" and the students in her preschool class are "my children."

She views and experiences the world from a 4-year old perspective. Everything revolves around her (as it does for most 4 year olds, and honestly, most people!) To deal with life in the world, everything must be placed in a category and defined in very limited and specific terms.

Honestly, this is how many Christians experience their faith. Their beliefs are narrow and limited to their own personal experiences. For some, anyone who looks different, acts different, lives different is . . . well . . . different and so not like them. When you're 4 years old different isn't good. Different is challenging and troubling. So different isn't good.

When we limit our faith to what we ourselves can see and think and feel, we are really limiting God. When we don't seek the knowledge and wisdom of others who have more scriptural insight and knowledge, we limit the power of God's inspired word. When we judge others out of ignorance and fear, we limit the strength and depth and breadth of the love Christ died to show us. When we limit God, we miss out on His grace and we miss out on the opportunity to extend that grace to others.

When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. (1 Corinthians 13:11 NIV)

Dear children, do not let anyone lead you astray. He who does what is right is righteous, just as he is righteous. (1 John 3:7 NIV)

2 comments:

  1. That's the "truth" and it's sad at times. May we always trust in the Lord and not of our own understanding. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love I Corinthians 13:11. I also love your writings as a nanny. My daughter teaches me so much about life and the Lord. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete