Saturday, April 18, 2009

Running from God

(The details of this story have been modified somewhat to protect the privacy of the individuals involved.)

I was on a rare trip the shopping mall and had treated myself to a fancy decaf coffee. As I sat on one of the benches, I relaxed and did some people-watching.

Just down the way a bit, near enough to see, but almost out of ear shot I witnessed a woman and a young girl, about 12 or 13, having an argument. Actually, the woman was holding on to the girl's arm and it was obvious they were struggling--not just in a battle of wills, but an actual physical struggle.

I assumed the argument had begun as a discussion about something the girl wanted to buy - or have her mom buy. (Can you tell my daughter was a teenager not too long ago?) After the mom disapproved of or denied the purchase, perhaps the girl got upset with her and said something disrespectful. If you have children you know how that kind of thing can escalate pretty quickly, especially if you're tired or don't feel well!

I instantly said a prayer over them. I noticed that they were attracting more and more attention, and I could actually hear bits and pieces of what was now a shouting match. Then, the girl wrested herself away from her mom and ran. She ran fast and hard and headed right out the doors of the food park.

A young woman approached the mom (apparently a friend or older sibling of the girl) and both of them took off out the doors.

I couldn't help but think how running was the worse thing that girl could have done. She needed to be in the loving arms of her mother, who could protect her and guide her and teach her how to be a godly woman. (I know, a lot of assumptions here.)

I've spent a lot of years of my life running from God in just this same way. He holds on tight, attempting to keep me on track, loving me and nurturing me, refining and preparing me for the purpose He has planned for my life. But I ran. I ran hard and I ran fast, more times than I can count.

Like that young girl, I wanted what I wanted, and I wanted it now! I didn't understand at the time that God knew what was best for me. I didn't trust that He only wanted good for me and to prosper me in all my ways. I didn't hope in him, but rather set my sights on wordly things.

Now that I understand God's deep longing for me to be in His presence, I am sorry I didn't run to Him sooner. My life would have been much less anxious and I could have been about the business of fulfilling His divinely designed purpose for my life a long time ago!

O Israel, put your hope in the LORD, for with the LORD is unfailing love and with him is full redemption. (Psalm 130:7 NIV)

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life. (Proverbs 13:12 NIV)

The LORD is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him; (Lamentations 3:25 NIV)

8 comments:

  1. Mary,

    Such words of wisdom. I think time for me, has made me realize through many foolish mistakes of claiming my own way too long, that the shorter, and easier path was simply turning to God.

    Like a parent, we too often want to protect our children from the harm life entices them with, to shorten their journey and spare them from the pain. However, it's only through those times of pain and error, that they really learn. They learn what happens if they don't listen. They learn much later in life than we would like, that mom, really did know best.

    God bless you for finding the simple reason, behind our complex lives and spelling it out for us, in your blog. You continue to inspire me, to bigger and better things.

    Love and Hugs ~ Kat

    ReplyDelete
  2. How true....thank you for your continued encouragement. God bless you for sharing this story....after our discussion I wondered when I might see it here.
    Love ya, andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. I love it that your instant reaction was to pray for them. Thank you for sharing this and may we always run towards our Parent, instead of away from Him for He always knows what's best for us. God bless you sister Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. BTW, I know you're busy but I want to thank you for your visits and encouraging comments. I surely appreciate that. Love and prayers to you...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you had the instant thought to pray for them. I find sometimes I watch that type of scene and then only later think of praying - but I still do then.

    We've all run at one time or another (figuratively, if not literally), haven't we?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing, and heartbreaking, story. This is exactly why I want my two kids to stay little forever.

    I can't count the number of times I've tried to run from God. Thankfully, He has always chased me down.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! So true. I too wish I had run to Him sooner. I have an award for you!

    ReplyDelete