Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Leaving A Mark On The World

The boys had finished breakfast, we had dropped of sister at preschool and returned home to watch a favorite show on television. I took the opportunity to jot down some notes for a draft of an article in my journal.

One of the twins realized at some point that I wasn't sitting with him and came over to investigate what I was up to. When he saw I was writing he asked me to get him some crayons so he could color. He did make a few swipes on a piece of paper, but he was much more interested in what I was doing.

He decided he wanted to "write" in my journal with me. He selected a pink crayon for the job and I allowed him to scribble a few lines on my current page, knowing I would still be able to read my black-inked words on the page.

Then he wanted to turn the page and mark on another page. Ultimately each written-on page of my journal was graced with pink scribbles. He wanted to leave his mark on the pages. I knew the end of my time as his nanny was nearing and I was kind of sentimental about having his handiwork as a permanent part of my journal.

After he moved on to a few blank pages I eased him back to paper actually intended for coloring. Of course he wanted my pen for that, so I sat next to him to closely supervise while his brother made his way to my lap, not wanting to miss out on anyting.

Brother saw that his twin had been allowed to write in the journal so he felt compelled to add his blue "writing" to the pink marked pages. I now have a permanent reminder of my time with both of the boys.

It made me think about how I'm doing at leaving my mark on the world. Am I bringing as many to Christ as I possibly can? Am I spreading the Good News of Jesus Christ to a world desperately in need of hope?

Both boys were thorough and very methodical in their quest to leave their mark. God expects nothing less of us.

"The Redeemer will come to Zion, to those in Jacob who repent of their sins," declares the LORD.(Isaiah 59:20 NIV)

I write to you, dear children, because your sins have been forgiven on account of his name.(1 John 2:12 NIV)

Then Jesus declared, "I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty. (John 6:35 NIV)

4 comments:

  1. "It made me think about how I'm doing at leaving my mark on the world. Am I bringing as many to Christ as I possibly can? Am I spreading the Good News of Jesus Christ to a world desperately in need of hope? Both boys were thorough and very methodical in their quest to leave their mark. God expects nothing less of us." WELL SAID!!!!!! I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad God is allowing us to use His pink and blue crayons and letting us mess up with His work sometimes, since there's nothing we can do to change His permanent plan. Like your boys who were interested in what you were doing, may God give us a heart that's always seeking and hungry for Him. This is a great post sis Mary! Thank you for reminding myself that "God expects nothing less of us." God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary,

    I love your post. Too often I think we look for bigger things to be doing in the kingdom, when for some, all we are called to do is simply encourage.

    No gifts God gives are wasted. His blessings will always pour out for the good of those that seek them.

    Love and Hugs ~ Kat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for visiting my blog and leading me back here. This is such an amazing and well-written story. We all start out early wanting to leave our mark upon the world, don't we? And though in the end it may just be a few scribbles, those scribbles are there, and maybe that's all that matters.

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete